Select a topic of field research – it does not have to be related to criminology – and determine how to utilize field research to answer questions about your topic. Things you will need to decide:
1. What is your topic?
2. What type of researcher role will you take on? (complete observer, observer as participant, participant as observer, complete participant)
3. What will be the setting for your observations?
4. How will you gain entrance? (don’t get arrested!)
Once you have made these decisions, it’s time to do your research!
1. Gain entrance to your location. Pick a spot to observe from.
2. Observe, listen and ask questions if it is appropriate for your research (and researcher role)
3. Take field notes