Assessment Task – Human Rights
Essay – Human and Indigenous rights
Value: 25 marks
Length: 1200 – 1500 words
Due Date: Monday 8th March 2021
In a 1200 – 1500 word essay, referring to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) and the
United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (2007), prepare a response to the
“The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (2007) is necessary, as
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) does not meet the needs of Indigenous
People”. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
In your response, demonstrate an understanding of the similarities and the differences of these
documents and include an explanation of to what degree specific indigenous rights are necessary,
focussing on the rights of Indigenous people of a country of your choice.
● Use at least five (5) reference sources in total.
● Use in-text citations to identify other people’s ideas and words. These in-text citations must
follow a consistent referencing style (APA or MLA8 are recommended)
● Quotes must be in quotation marks and the in-text citation must include the page number.
● The reference list must follow the APA style or MLA8 style..
The assessment task should be your own original work. This assessment task will be put through
TurnItIn to identify plagiarism.
Formal and respectful language requirements
● This assessment task must be in professional and formal language. This means there should
be no abbreviations or slang.
● Care must be taken to avoid spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
● Respectful and appropriate terminology must be used when referring to and writing about
Indigenous people and cultures.
● Submit on Google Classroom before the due date. Any late submissions will be penalized.
● Submit on Turn It In – Class ID is 28534496 and password is marakugp